[Dixielandjazz] Roswell Rudd - was left handed musicians

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 16:47:35 PDT 2006

"Dave Hanson" <jazzdude39 at comcast.net> wrote

> Roswell Rudd, trombonist, plays the slide with his left hand. He's an old
> bopper that is still active, I believe.

Actually Roswell Rudd was a Dixieland trombonist before he went further out
with bop, and then avant garde music. He is now very far out. Performs in
NYC ebery now and then.

Originally in a Dixieland band at the Hotchkiss Prep School in Connecticut,
then with Eli's Chosen Six of Yale University and then in NYC with various
Dixieland groups. Then he met Archie Shepp, Cevcil Taylor and others and
rapidly went to Bop, to Free Jazz to Avant Garde.

He currently plays "world" music appearing with Tibetan, and African, and
other groups.

Interestingly enough, he incorporates New Orleans tailgate into these
various musical genres complete with slides, smears and growls.

Some say it's like listening to Kid Ory on Crack. :-)

Hell of a guy, hell of a player. I worked with him in the late 1950s when he
was still playing Dixieland. At the Cinderella Club with trumpeter Jack Fine
and Ahmed Abdul Malik formerly a Thelonious Monk bass player who was going
back to the roots while Rudd was seeking enlightenment with Cecil Taylor. I
think he is on records with Taylor circa 1960 or so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone