[Dixielandjazz] The Ultimate Showcase?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 21:25:30 PST 2006

In contrast to what I wanted to say on this matter I reluctantly submit
the following observation about my buddy Steve's comment about Mighty
Aphrodite and their eventual perceived success outside the OKOm circuit
of festivals:

Most of ya'll know that I am a pretty well respected Agent in the music
industry, that being said, I went to the site Ginny posted and listened
to all three songs all the way through on Mighty Aphrodite.

I have not yet seen or heard them LIVE, but from what I just heard on
the site I would not go out of my way to do so except for the fact to
see an all girl band, but if there was another band that I knew of on
stage at the same time I would go see them instead.

What I just heard as representation of this band might well be good
enough for getting them booked on a Preservation style OKOM Jazz
jubilee festival but they simply ain't about to crank on no College
Booking showcase and to go there sounding like that would be a great
waste of their time and money.   I book college gigs and 90% of them
would not even invite these ladies to play a free lunchtime concert in
the cafeteria.

So before ya'll get all worked up about these nice young ladies being
the next Louis Armstrong, or Dukes of Dixieland or even Preservation
Hall Jazz Band, I would give them a few more years of hard work they
just ain't all that,  at least not Yet.  They do however in all
fairness sound like one of the better YOUTH bands that I have heard in
the past three years.   Unfortunately they sound pretty much like their
teacher or mentor's dixieland band.

No Fire in the Belly, nothing exciting at all,  no seasoned life
experience flowing thru the instruments and or arrangements, simply
sounds like another tired old Pizza parlor style dixieland band to my
ears.   And I assure you I am greatly disappointed to say that as I was
expecting a lot more form all the hype I have been reading about them
lately.   As a matter of fact almost no Feeling in their music at all.
  Sorry guys but they just don't do anything for this Agent, I would not
offer them to any of my clients, at least not yet.   They are right
where they belong at this point in time, on the Dixieland Jazz Circuit
with all the regional bands.   If it were not for them being attractive
ladies they would not have traveled far past Vancouver me thinks.

Now of course that is just MY opinion and ya'll are all welcome to your
own.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins  10/31/2006