[Dixielandjazz] Laying off & bad horns

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 27 17:51:30 PDT 2006

My first instrument was a C sax that an Aunt sent from Pennsylvania.  My
teacher used a bunch of rubber bands to hold keys shut and bent things
around till everything worked.  He wrapped the cork with paper.

No one in their right mind would have a kid try to play on that horn today
but beggars can't be choosers and the thing worked.  A few more rubber bands
and more adjustment kept it going.  It never saw a shop because there wasn't
one where I lived and my parents didn't have the money anyway at that time.

It was pretty much like that for three years until my dad bought me a new
Buscher Aristocrat alto (abt. 1951 or 52)  which I still play on.  I was
going in the 7th grade.

You know I didn't care because I was so excited to have an instrument to
play on.    When I got that new horn it might as well been solid gold.  I
used to sit and just run my hand over the plush inside of the case.  You
know I still do that sometimes.  Occasionally I wish that they could have
afforded a 400 top hat model (my dream horn) but I know they did without to
get me that one.

I really felt special because other kids in my neighborhood and most at my
school didn't have a horn and I did.

I guess times have changed.
Larry