[Dixielandjazz] FW: Trombones/reeds

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Oct 26 09:55:26 PDT 2006

>Comparisons are odious so I won't make any. Bob Smith

But, Bob...it's so much fun to have a go at reed players once in awhile!
:>

Seriously speaking, though, my comment about being able to lay off a horn
for a period & comparing reeds to brass are based on one small truth.  You
will most certainly get some sound out of a reed after months of not
playing.  The sides of the mouth will hurt like crazy, but you can still
honk out a tune.

In contrast,a trumpeter or trombonist may find that only air comes out of
the horn, no matter how much he tries to make a note, if a long period has
passed without playing.
Or, even worse yet, you'll happily start out the gig well, only to find out
that after a few tunes you suddenly lose it, and theres nothing but air.

Now, excuse me, as I must go and practice a bit as we don't have any gigs
this weekend! :>

Jim