[Dixielandjazz] Let's Clear up a couple of things.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 25 13:31:01 PDT 2006

"Edgerton, Paul A" <paul.edgerton at eds.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Steve ably speaks for himself.  I believe I understand him, and even
> agree with much of what he has been saying.

And I agree with much of what Paul says.

> There is a marked difference between the preferences of the young dance
> crowd and the older festival crowd.  A band can certainly serve both
> markets, but probably not at the same time and in the same place.  The
> two types of people simply prefer to socialize within their own group
> and do not feel comfortable around the other.

I do disagree in part, however, with the above. It depends upon the venue.
At Jazz Society concert venues, it's true that the older folks sometimes
look askance at the kids. There is a sort of "stand offishness". But if the
band leader helps, by inviting the older folks to dance with the kids, etc.,
(and the kids will readily agree to this), that initial reserve disappears.
A little "connecting" by the band leader goes a long way to making it happen
to everyone's satisfaction. And as others who perform for the swing dance
universe know, while these kids dance to both Louie's (Jordan and Prima)
they love to dance to the real Louis, as well as to both 2 beat and 4 beat
Dixieland. To either tuba/banjo and/or amplified guitar/double bass rhythm
sections. OKOM bands can play their regular program and wildly succeed with
both young and old audiences at the same venue.

At public venues, park concerts, street festivals, etc., There is no
problem. The older folks who are usually seated, get an enormous charge out
of watching the kids dance. It is true, however, that the two groups
congregate apart from each other but what's the harm in that? Again, if the
band leader does his/her job, encourages fraternization, everyone loosens
up. The older folks (males especially) enjoy dancing with the twenty
something members of the opposite sex. The kids enjoy it also and are often
surprised at how well the old folks dance, making allowances for old age
when it comes to the more vigorous dance activity like throws, etc.

The real beauty of the public venues is that you get an audience from 5 to
80 that mixes well and enjoys themselves as well as the music & dancing.

> Many others focus on the older crowd.  Quite a few of the latter
> complain loudly that their audience is dwindling.  The funny thing is,
> they've been saying the same thing for decades.  This has proven to be a
> tough market to kill off! (vbg, as Steve often says) The funny thing is
> that these folks always seem to be in their 60s and 70s -- kind of like
> how the Peanuts gang were always children.  I don't have any hard data,
> but I suspect that with the aging of baby boomers, their number is
> actually increasing.

I also disagree with some of the above. What we find here in the Eastern US
is that the Jazz Societies in particular, face declining membership every
year and that the concerts are less well attended every year, unless they,
or the band, bring the kids in. Not only that, but the Jazz Society audience
is getting older and older. More folks in walkers etc. And many now in their
70s and 80s.

It is no secret that Pennsylvania Jazz Society, Tri State Jazz Society,
Potomac River Jazz Society, New Jersey Jazz Society are all having these
problems and are actively facing up to them rather than living in denial and
painting a false picture about how great things are.

Also, has not the Sacramento Jubilee audience lessened over these past
several years. Are not many OKOM festival, and many OKOM jazz society
audiences/memberships all over the USA shrinking? It would be interesting to
see the cold hard statistics of membership, attendance, and available money
generated to pay bands, 2005 vs. 2004 vs. 2003 etc., for all those groups.
Without seeing that, we just get the same "fine" to the question; "How did
you do this year?" As I recall, that's what Sacto Jubilee top gun was saying
along with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." for about a decade before they
suddenly ran out of money.

> Reports of the death of OKOM have been greatly exaggerated.

I agree, OKOM will not die, there will always be an audience for it. I only
seek to enlarge it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS to Joe Hopkins. Yes I am aware that Arizona has had much success with
swing dancers. I posted about that very thing a day or two ago. In fact,
giving you full credit for getting there before me, so I see no need to get
out more to seek validation. Regarding Sacramento, I am confident that
previous Jubilee management resisted most efforts and suggestions by the
rank and file (some who were band leaders) to more actively deal with the
many swing dance clubs there, and elsewhere in the Bay Area. You might write
Bob Ringwald, or someone else there who knows the story, off list, to be
brought up to speed.