[Dixielandjazz] Dixie Rebels

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Wed Oct 25 09:49:03 PDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:23:28 +0000 rahberry at comcast.net writes:
> DJML-
> I have recently found and purchased a used LP entitled "The Dixie
> Rebels Strike Back With True Dixieland Sound."
> The liner notes do not say who the musicians are.  Anyone have a
> clue?  I'd love to know...
> TIA,
>   -- Rae Ann

Back in June, this exchange took place (in reverse time order):

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:43:35 EDT Jacaludix at aol.com writes:
Hi Jerry,
    You may be interested to know that "Big Jeb" Dooley is a pseudonym
for "Pee Wee" Irwin (1913-1981), the renowned big band trumpet player.
This information is found in the wonderful Scarecrow Press biography
"This Horn For Hire: The Life and Career of 'Pee Wee' Irwin" (written by
the late Warren W. Vache' Sr. in 1987) of "Pee Wee" Irwin. The 1959 Dixie
Rebel recordings featured:
    Cliff Leeman or "Mousie" Alexander- drums.
    Kenny Davern-clarinet
    Milt Hinton or Jack Lesberg-bass
    Lou McGarity or Harry DeVito-trombone
    Johnny Varro or Gene Schroeder-piano
    Lee Blair-banjo
        Just thought you'd like to know " the rest of the story." Jay
Rice