[Dixielandjazz] Sit Ins and embarrassments.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 21 14:56:25 PDT 2006

I read about this story either in the Potomac River Jazz Club Newsletter or
maybe on the DJML a while back.

Seems there was a jam session where sit ins were encouraged. They were asked
to sign in on a sheet and would then be called up to perform. Seems a small
black man came in later, after that announcement, with a trumpet case and
asked the band leader, a trumpet player, if he could sit in.

Sure Bub, was the response, just sign in and we'll get to you. The wannabe
walked over to the sheet and slowly printed out R O Y  E L D R I D G E.

The band leader who watched him sign in was just a wee bit embarrassed.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone