[Dixielandjazz] Boring Jazz

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Oct 21 12:25:11 PDT 2006

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>  "But I would point out that it is only us
> old
> folks who want to remember the good old days. It is simply not relevant
> the younger audience, which is why we have none."
(snip)

Bob Ringwald says:

Steve, You keep talking about your young audiences.  Now you say "we have
none?"  Which is it?

Martin Nichols answered:

>  I can't quite understand that Steve. When I started listening as a young
> kid
>  around the late forties and early 50's, it was the "old days" that I was
> enamored with, otherwise why would I have been listening to decades old
> jazz?
>
>  Also, though I was not one of them, the college kids back then were also
> crazy about jazz from the "old days."
>
>  Another thing- my exposure to jazz originally was only from records not
> live venues; so that tells me the attraction was mainly aural and not
> visual. That is not
>  to say I didn't enjoy live performances even more, later when I got a
> chance.
(snip)

As much as it pains me to have to agree with Steve, martin, remember, times
were different back then.  The young kids of the 1940s & '50s were not
exposed to MTV, videos, 10 second commercials and 6 second sound bites.

They were used to using their ears and imagination, listening to a radio or
phonograph.

--Bob Ringwald