[Dixielandjazz] "RADIO" Not

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Oct 15 23:21:51 PDT 2006

Bob Ringwald, and possible others, are correct that the lyrics for a
song called "Radio" posted recently are NOT the same as the one sang by
the likes of Banu and Polly Podewell.  That one has a lot of lyrics
mentioning the different old radio shows, including, "The Shadow Knows".

As a "sidebar" it might be interesting to some, who have not heard Polly
tell the story on stage, that she has a special interest in that song.
Her father, and perhaps her mother also, but I forget that detail now,
worked in radio on the Shadow.

The following snippet of the lyrics already posted by one of the list
members in only one place I saw so far is the song both Banu and Polly
sing regularly.

Quote from and earlier post on the list.

Basic lyrics go:

 > Radio, remember radio?
 > We'd sit and close our eyes and use our imagination.
 > Comedy, mystery, fireside chat.
 > Together we sat listening nightly to our favorite shows.
 > Radio, why did you ever go?
 > Oh, won't you please come back and entertain us?
 > I long to turn that dial again and hear the past an' smile again.
 > Radio I miss you so.

The rest of the song goes on to list a number of those old radio shows
as I said.  The word "imagination" is drawn out, if it helps any of you
remember it.

Lowell aka Mad Dawg