[Dixielandjazz] Germs in instruments

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Oct 13 21:33:58 PDT 2006

When I was in the AF we were in the giant extravaganza that Ross Perot threw
in Dallas.  There was 11 bands from various countries and a massive ticker
tape parade.  I kid you not it was almost knee deep.  The zilions of bits of
paper falling seemed to find a place in the sousaphones and kids were
picking it up in large handfuls and throwing it at the sousaphone bells.
After we got back the players cleaned about a 5 gallon bucket of stuff out
of their horns.  Believe it or not several years later paper bits were still
coming out of those things.

It was an incredible show that I will never forget.  They combined two AF
bands together and the sheer power of that band was something else as we
marched downtown.  There was never so many Medal of Honor winners in one
spot as then.
Larry