[Dixielandjazz] Information Request

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 10 00:26:43 PDT 2006

> If anybody has the lyrics to  "Saloon" we would appreciate your forwarding
them to us.<

Dear Bob and Doris,
Did you receive a reply to the above request dated 2 Oct 06, which turned up
in my 'in box' this morning? [I wonder where it has been?]
I didn't see any response posted to the list.
Details of the composition are:
Music: Ernest R. Ball (as Roland E. Llab) who wrote "When Irish Eyes Are
Smiling" among many others.
Lyrics: George Whiting, famous for writing "My Blue Heaven".
Publisher: M. Witmark & Sons
Copyright: 1920.
Kind regards,
Bill.

And here are the lyrics, courtesy of that great Perfessor Bill Edwards'
site.

Saloon
A Mock Ballad
Words by George Whiting, Music by Roland E. Llab (Ernest R. Ball)

Verse 1: I've been looking through the dictionary
For a word that's always running through my mind.
Though I love the name of brother, I was looking for another
And I must confess that word I cannot find
Can it be that all its glories are forgotten,
And it's buried with the language of the Greek?
If it is 'twill ever linger in my memory
As the first word that I heard my daddy Speak...

Chorus 1: Saloon, Saloon, Saloon. It runs through my brain like a tune.
I don't like café, And I hate cabaret, But just mention saloon and my cares
fade away.
For it brings back a fond recollection of a little old low ceiling room.
With a bar, and a rail, and a dime, and a pail. Saloon, saloon, saloon.

Verse 2: I can picture swinging doors wide open.
I can almost see the sawdust on the floor.
And I dream of pals and cronies drinking highballs, steins and ponies,
I can see the name of "Ehret" on the door;
But the free lunch counter now is but a memory,
It has vanished with the joys we used to know,
Never more we'll hear that old familiar parting -
Just one drink, boys, just one more before we go.

Chorus 2: Saloon, Saloon, Saloon. Have you been forgotten so soon.
You nestled so sweet in that little side street, so respected, protected by
cops on the beat.
Since you've left us the world seems in darkness, like a cloud passing over
the moon.
No more joys in my life, no more lies to my wife. Saloon, saloon, saloon.