[Dixielandjazz] What a difference a key makes

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 6 07:24:02 PDT 2006

     I was under the impression that J. S. Bach wrote for the
"well-tempered" clavier (or a keyboard instrument), and
well-tempering was an attempt to make all the keys more in tune with
each other and less discordant in the keys with a lot of flats or
sharps.  It was definitely NOT the same as equal-temperament, in
which the octave is divided into twelve exactly equal semitones, so
that (theoretically, at least) all keys are equally in (or slightly
out of) tune.
     Is this not true?
     Now i have heard that piano-tuners (at the request of players,
apparently) in practice slightly 'stretch' some intervals (like the
octave), but i'm not sure why.  To make those intervals, or the piano
in general, sound 'brighter'?  Or what?
     Is this topic not congruent with the daily work of a certain Mr.
Ringwald?  Could he (or someone else) elaborate perhaps?

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
** "Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from
**  from the foolish their lack of understanding." -- Ambrose Bierce