[Dixielandjazz] What a difference a key makes

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Oct 5 17:44:38 PDT 2006

For "And That's Jazz" we tend to pick the key for a song (if
different from the original or as arranged in most fake books)  on
two things: Can the singer handle the range and can the lead (usually
trumpet) handle the range. We usually figure this out in rehearsal.

Sometimes we conclude that a song we have been playing in Bb for 15
years all of a sudden sounds much better in F (or whatever key.)

Sometimes we start out on the "wrong" note and do the whole song in
another key (but rarely a sharp key ;-) or modulate back to what we
usually do it in.
It can get interesting...  but I can only think of one or two times
when we actually stop the song and start over in the "correct" key.
Since we mostly work from an outline chart (not the written notes or
chord charts) we can be a bit more flexible. We usually "cheat" a bit
by having the banjo strum the opening chord just before we start a song.

Dave Richoux