[Dixielandjazz] What a difference a key makes.

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 18:00:43 PDT 2006

Stevie Barbone wrote (regarding my inability to discern key "tone color"):

>Since he is pulling our chains, the best retort is "Bill, If you have to
>ask, you'll never know." With all that training, musical intelligence and
>normal ears, you should be able to hear the difference for yourself.

When I mentioned Stockhausen, Boulez, d'Arezzo, and Schoenberg and my deep
understanding of their music I was making a joke. I'll never understand the
allure of Stockhausen and Boulez and I'm only at the shallow end of
Schoenberg.

Also, I'm not yanking your chains. I sincerely do not know what people mean
when they say that the selected key conveys a tone color that is different
than some other selected key.

I just did a musical experiment and asked my wife, Beverly (if you know her,
you'll know that she is always directly honest in everything she tells you)
to respond regarding her "tonal perception" of two arpeggios.

I described to her the basic concept that people can hear a different tone
color in different keys and then asked her to evaluate an arpeggio I would
play. I then played a C major arpeggio. Then, after a moment I played a Db
arpeggio using the exact same intervals, volume and tempo and asked her to
compare the two.

Her response: "The first one seemed light and airy and the second one seemed
darker -- like a rainy day."

I repeated process and got exactly the same response.

I'll repeat it again tomorrow when her "ear memory" of the experience has
diminished and when I do, I'll reverse the arpeggios (first the Db and then
the C) and see what her response is.

If it's consistent I'll know there's something at work which can be verified
with further experimentation. If she's inconsistent then something else will
be implied.

Understand - I'm not kidding about this . . . we're talking about a stated
perception here and I don't seem to be able to detect the thing when I
listen.  What am I missing?

Two answers:

1. I'm not missing anything and those who claim that a key conveys some
specific "tone color" are full of doo doo.

2. I'm unable to perceive that difference which really exists regarding the
"tone color" of keys because I'm somehow musically deprived in some areas.

If this so called "Synthesia" is an actual phenomenon which (according to
the data I read) is experienced by no more than 4 percent of the population
then the reality is that very few of you out there hear music as "color" in
addition to pitch, volume, duration and timbre.

Remember - this effect has nothing to do with tubing, valves, length of
string, instrument, pitch, volume or any of that stuff . . . it simply has
to do with the key. If "do-me-sol-do" has a different tone color in C than
in Db, I'd like to know just what that freaking difference is.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "still unconvinced" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com