[Dixielandjazz] What's missing?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Oct 4 11:10:36 PDT 2006

Some people and I'm not one of them hear tones as colors and just as I can
discern shades of red for example they can visualize as well as hear sounds.

There are differences in keys.  If a tune is in one key and for whatever
reason it changes so does all my improv.  While improv is always changing
the changing of keys opens up new thoughts and the improv changes because of
it.

Instruments have a lot of tonal difference within themselves as someone
pointed out about trombone.  A great example is the Soprano Sax.  Most
players sound like a duck in the low register and a strangled chicken in the
upper.  There is a definite tonal color break between the two registers.
Only very good players can smooth out the registers so that it doesn't sound
like two different people are playing two entirely different instruments.
That's why (intonation too) only people who have a very solid foundation
should play the instrument.  Other instruments have those tonal breaks too.
An example is the guitar or any other string instrument.  The color changes
as you go up the neck and is vastly different from open strings.

The sax has a color break between C, C# and D.  The closed instrument
produces a different sound than an open instrument.  That's why some players
vent the D with the left hand palm D key.   My first teacher made me aware
of that and had me work on sounding the same.  There is little difference
from one note to another by good players who have addressed the problem and
hear it.

Next time you hear a Soprano sax player listen for the two different sounds
in the registers.  As I said before sometimes it's really terrible.

You have to be able to hear those things before you can make the most out of
some instruments.
Larry
St. Louis