[Dixielandjazz] FW: Keys?

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Oct 4 08:33:21 PDT 2006

In addition to Jim's comments below I felt Dan's with the Winkipedia
reference can help us grasp that All is not to All what it seems to  One.  We each
perceive differently.  And yes, if you are blowing into  the instrument, you
hear your tone differently than the individual not blowing  the note even if that
individual is sitting right where the tone is being  produced.  Some teachers
have wind students do some playing with ear plugs  inserted, not to not hear
themselves, but to hear themselves differently via  bone conduction, etc.
Then there is the overtone series to consider with  different instruments.
Certain notes (pitches) on my bassoon, even within  the normal range, sound "ugly"
to me.  They are in tune, but I think  it's a matter of my particular
instrument not resonating to produce  sufficient overtones.  Yep, there are things to
explore doing with the lip,  the interior of the mouth, the throat, the jaw,
etc. to try and make that "ugly"  prettier unless one wants ugly--but that
takes lots of focus just on tone  production never mind everything else the
musician is trying to achieve.   So if a certain key uses an "ugly" note frequently,
I am likely going to  prefer a different key.

It seems to me that the tone-producer of any instrument (strings,
percussion, etc.) is hearing the tone differently and definitely feeling the  vibrations
on their body differently than the listener.  If, as a listener  to live
music, you have never tried attending to what else besides your ear  drums are
vibrating, it might be fun for you to pay attention to that some  time.  For
example, many of us have been hit with the over-amped bass  pushing against our
chest wall.  Try to get keener about far more subtle  vibrations bouncing
against you.  It may be a significant element of how  much you are enjoying that
particular listening experience.

The same as when I think the taste of a certain chili is superb, and the
next person finds it too spicy, perceptions vary.  So if the co-musician
perceives something preferable about a certain key, what's the skin off my _____  if
we play it in a different key.  It should at least be a point  of discussion
and collaboration in terms of who get's their way this  time. (smile)

And with fretted instruments, it's not always precisely just a matter  of
easier-to-play chords.  More related to the tuning of the  instrument--what
pleasing partial chords for that particular tune-mood are  within the possibilities
of combination.
Ginny

In a message dated 10/4/2006 3:15:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time,