[Dixielandjazz] FW: Keys?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 4 01:00:10 PDT 2006

I can't grasp the concept that a sharp key somehow has a different "tone
color" than some other key played on the same ax.
Bill Gunter

Bill, it may have to do with the instrument, and maybe you even have to be
"behind" the instrument (as in, the player) to hear it.  I hear an actual
difference in timbre between the flat & sharp keys on the trombone.  There
is a brighter, thinner sound to the sharp keys.  Even C will do it!  I kinda
doubt if you'll get this on the washboard...sorry.  :>

Major & minor is a completely different story.  (*)

Jim

(*) since I mentioned story, I'll tell one:  Angel Eyes is a moody, minor
kind of song until you get to the bridge, where it goes major & bright
sounding.  The secret is in the words (Oh, so very important to know when
playing particularly a ballad!), as he says "Drink up all you people, order
anything you like....."), pulling himself out of his "my-girl's gone
& left-me" stupor.  Reaching the bridge is like lifting off of the stage,
although you crash again in just a few bars.  It's that bright moment that
you can feel if you've ever been involved in free jazz & the whole group
happens onto a few bars swinging all together.