[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Tue Oct 3 20:21:32 PDT 2006

I spent a night in Preservation Hall in the early 1970's enthralled that I was listening to legends of jazz playing in New Orleans.  I have since listened to some CDs that sound very pedantic and plain.  Do I remember the magical feeling I felt that night?  Absolutely.  Is it something I want to repeat now?  No.  (My sister sent me the PBS video about Preservation Hall, and I found the history interesting and the music boring.)

My issue is that the impression of the PHJB is that it is the embodiment of classic New Orleans jazz, not as it was 100 years ago, but as it is today.  That is great if it can bring more adherents to our table, but it totally neglects the way the music has developed like the group that went to the Red Sea Jazz Festival.

I grew up on the Dukes of Dixieland and FH5+2, and get totally frustrated at deadly dull groups who merely recreate the past, with no spirit or life.

For whatever it's worth -

Tim Eldred
Amateur musician/devoted fan
Roseville, CA