[Dixielandjazz] musicians with adhd or add

charles coleman charliew8fim at verizon.net
Tue Oct 3 16:49:02 PDT 2006

Hi Listees,    I've recently discovered (thanks to the internet) that I've likely been ADHD for the past 'levenforty years.   Started playing clarinet and sax about 60 years ago, but never became a good 'reader'.    Could never look at the spots longer than one or two measures, then 'off to the races'.    Did OK in small groups doing heads, but even the simplest stocks are a challenge.   Forget all them rest-es!    Tried lessons several times but when instructor said, "take it from measure 24"  I was lost - needed to take it from the top again.    It was all in my head.   I have a few thousand tunes I do with a trio on the nursing home circuit but if someone puts a chart in front of me, I'm totally somewhere else - planning next week's activities.   I've got to be doing at least three things at once, leaving one or two unfinished.   Comments anyone?    Does anyone else have that problem??????
Thanks for reading.     Charlie "rushing the beat" Coleman