[Dixielandjazz] Website info needed

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Oct 1 06:36:52 PDT 2006

Dear Nancy Griffin

Cc: DJML

Thanks for your informative note and check-list of needed website info.  The
Jazz Society of Pensacola (JSOP) had a change of webmasters about a year ago
and we went through-smoothly, I think, as they were savvy guys with careful
attention to essentials--- the details of making sure we had all the
necessary billing and password information.  Yours is sage advice.  I've
forwarded your note to our JSOP board and current and past webmasters to
assure that we have ALL the needed information both on computer and paper
copy.

Norman-struggling to assure the records are there-Vickers

Nancy Griffin wrote:

>I have been waiting two weeks for a musician to try and find out his own
Web site's account >information. Since this is not the first (nor second)
time this has happened, I am posting >this note (warning) to all of you with
a Web

>site: Please do not let your webmaster keep these details from you, neither
inadvertently nor >on purpose.

>While it is nice to let someone else worry about all the technical details
of a site, there >may come a day when you want or have to switch webmasters,
and you will need to know some >basic information about your site.

>THINGS TO KEEP IN A SPECIAL FILE that you can easily access (one on
computer, another on >paper):

>-- Name of company where your domain name is REGISTERED

>    (i.e. Network Solutions)

>    and their URL (i.e <http://www.networksolutions.com
<http://www.networksolutions.com/> >)

>-- Date when registration EXPIRES

>-- Name of company that is HOSTING your domain name

>   (if different from where you registered)

>-- Your account USER NAME

>-- Your account PASSWORD

>-- Your FTP Host (i.e. 205.178.145.65 )

>-- Your FTP LOG IN

>   and FTP PASSWORD

>   (if different from your account user name and password)

>If and when you get a new Webmaster, you can send this info to them and be
up and running >immediately. Otherwise, everyone sits and waits for the
former Webmaster to care enough and >be organized enough to send it to you
right away. This wait can be frustrating if changes >need to be made ASAP.

>BTW: Same goes for your CD Baby pages. Know your user name, password and
URL address where >you go to make changes to your CD Baby page.