[Dixielandjazz] Lawrence Welk Plays Dixieland

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Sun Oct 1 00:35:55 PDT 2006

I got the record both in an EP version and the LP.  It was originally on
Coral. I got it about 1958 or 59.  I still have it.  Picture on the back of
the album shows a nearly bald Fountain..pre-toupee.  His solo on Pete's Tail
Fly (Jimmy Carck Corn) is marvelous.  They use two trumpets. Thow is one of
them.  Barnyard Blues is actually Livery Stable Blues.  The S'Wonderful cut
is good too. Excellent Fountain.

Fountain appeared on Welk's Monday night show "Top Tune and New Talent" and
was hired.  Later, Fountain brought Al Hirt onto the Top tunes show, but
Hirt wasn't hired.  Hirt was introduced as a friend of Pete's from New
Orleans.  Interestingly enough, on that show, when Hirt was soloing,
Fountain could be seen shaking his head negatively. I remember it well.

I read somewhere that when Welk called, Fountain was working a day gig for
Roto Rooter and was in danger of giving up music. His "Pete Fountain and the
Three Coins" group hadn't made it well enough for them to make a living at
music. Story goes that Fountain left the Dukes in 1955 and formed the Coins
group.

Timing is everything.

J. D. Bryce
One of Shiek Littlefield's minions.