[Dixielandjazz] Totally off-topic, but....

Don Kirkman donsno2 at wavecable.com
Mon Nov 27 14:50:39 PST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:53:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00), Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon
wrote:

>">From the late 1950s to the late 1960s..."

>Has anyone ever noticed, regardless of where, how, or software utilised, any email line (not sentence) beginning with the word "From" has a ">" in front of it as if part of a quote?  I know it definitely happens in plaintext emails; not sure about HTML....,

I'm always leery of Wikipedia material, but I think this one is right on
the money:

"When Usenet and e-mail users with to respond to a message, they often
want to include some context for the discussion. This is often
accomplished by quoting the original message.

"Usenet standard quoting refers to the practice of preceeding the
original message with a > character on each line, and then inserting
one's responses inline, using no special designation for the author's
messages."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting
--
Don Kirkman