[Dixielandjazz] OT: Anita O'Day

Swingbrew at aol.com Swingbrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 14:29:12 PST 2006

Don't feel sad for Anita.  She wasn't.  I too am a huge fan of  hers.  She
showed everyone that you could be white and be a real 1st class  jazz singer,
blues and all.  I'll tell you 2 quick stories.

This first one appeared in the NY Times a few years ago.  The  Times sent an
interviewer to the old age home she was living in LA.  When  the reporter
showed up at the front door, she took him into the common room  where all the
octogenarians were busy maintaining their consciousness while  waiting to die.
She points to the reporter and announces to her  housemates, "Dig this, the New
York Times".  Hip right up to the end.

The second story is from the early 40's.  Jimmy Maxwell was playing  lead
trumpet with Goodman.  Anita came up to him one day and said, "Jim, if  you can
get me on Benny's band, I'll give you the best head you ever got".   Jimmy
looked at her sideways, and she quickly added, "Uh, better than last  time".

There will never be another Anita.  God bless her.

DB