[Dixielandjazz] Tune "Radio"

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 12:23:02 PST 2006

The only recordings I have are the St. Louis Banjo Band, which I don't
recommend for fans of OKUM, unless you are also a fan of banjo bands; and  (2) a
cassette entitled "Radio" by Borgy's Banjo Reunion for Reunion Records in
Ontario, Canada.  This one is a DL band.  I have wondered if it isn't  a cassette
from an LP and if it pre-dates Banu's.  On the web site of  True North Brass,
Scott Irvine, tuba has this to say about Borgy's band, and I  think in a 1980's
ish time frame.
Quote from ScotT Irvine:
 There were two Bands that predominated at that time; Professor Futz  and his
Band of Nutz, (yes, that was the name!) and Borgy's Banjo Reunion.
Borgy's Band was a lot of fun.  I should mention that I had previously  met
Borgy while I was still in High School, when the Etobicoke Youth Orchestra
played at a function at the Skyline Hotel.  Borgy was working there in one  of
the bars, namely Diamond Lil's, and a few of us (who were of drinking age, of
course!) checked the place out after we were done.  I remember being VERY
impressed with his tuba player at that time, Don Trigg.  This guy played  great
solos, laid down fantastic bass lines, and even sang a couple of numbers!  When
Borgy called me years later, little did I know that he had been  keeping an
eye on me.  He remembered me from that first meeting, and he  knew that I had
been working around town recently.   I played a lot with  him over the 15+ years
that I was in his band.  My colleagues in True North  Brass have often
wondered how I am able to get up to the microphone in our  concerts and talk to the
audience with apparent ease.  I tell them to look  no further than the time I
spent in Borgy's Banjo Reunion.  I'd probably  still be in that band  if I
hadn't gotten too busy with other work, and  Borgy hadn't retired to Victoria,
BC.
Another piece of the search locates Borgy playing with a group called
Dixieland Express in 2005 at the Cherry Point Vineyard Jazz Festival apparently  in
British Columbia.
Ginny

In a message dated 11/27/2006 1:17:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,