[Dixielandjazz] Trombone players who can both read & fake

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Nov 25 11:23:14 PST 2006

That's true - I have done several Mississippi and American Queen big band
cruises.  The pay is fair to poor but I was looking at them more as a
vacation.  We only played two hours a day - the rest of the time was laying
around on deck watching the river move by, listening to a killer Dixie group
and enjoying the cuisine.  Someone who was seriously trying to make their
living at this couldn't do it unless they had extended trips.  The house
bands do get the extended trips where they aren't paying rent or for food
for six weeks at a time.  I think they work six and are off 2.  That's the
schedule for everyone on the boats.

Even though the crews are  models of decorum we were treated to the Rocky
Horror Picture Show with the crew showing up in full costume at midnight on
the last cruise I did.  What a hoot.
Larry