[Dixielandjazz] "Tony Bennett: An American Classic"

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 24 19:58:07 PST 2006

on 11/24/06 3:18 PM, Steven Holzer at slholzer at iquest.net wrote:

> I tuned in for this, then saw the American Music Awards immediately
> after. Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous... Chris
> Botti's bit was a pleasant surprise. He had a tone and sensitivity that
> reminded me of Chet Baker at his peak. I'll certainly have to look for
> more of his work. Bennett has still got it as far as ballad singing
> goes. I regret to say that I have never thought of him as a great jazz
> singer, although that is what he has always aspired to be. (Who would
> have thought that I would ever agree with Mitch Miller on anything?) For
> those with an open mind, check out Elton John's turn with Tony onstage
> at the Sahara. He was good doing Bennett's material! Sorry to say that
> Christina Aguilera was not, no matter how good she might have looked.
> Still, it was better than anything I saw on the AMA. Also, the producers
> oft he Bennett show deserve kudos for recruiting and presenting an
> excellent dance troupe, creatively and yet tastefully choreographed.
> Once again, the contrast to the AMA show and the penchant for
> nouveau-slut stylings was unavoidable.
>
> Steve Holzer
>

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>
>> If you like tuneful music, it might be a good idea to tune in to this
>> special tonight. On NBC TV at 8 PM till 9 PM here in the Eastern USA. Check
>> you listings elsewhere. It is an 80th Birthday celebration and includes duet
>> appearances by Stevie Wonder, Diana Krall, Chris Botti, Barbra Streisand,
>> Christine Aguilera, Elton John and k.d. Lang.
>>
>> Note that his latest CD, released on August 3 (his birthday) has sold over 1
>> million copies to date. Not bad for an old gaffer, in a CD market which all
>> the talking heads say is dead.
Remainder snipped for brevity.

Hi Steve:

I too loved the Bennett program. To me Bennett is a GREAT saloon singer. I
never worried about whether it was jazz or not.

Bennett is my hero because at age 80, he is A SEX SYMBOL. I think that is
part of his success these days with young people. Something I've been trying
to copy from him for a long time.

His charisma with k.d. Lang was marvelous. Their vibes together are
wonderful and the special he did with her several years ago was a stunner.

While Aguilera may or may not appeal yet to you or I, she gets an A+ for
trying to sing . . .and look like a singer from the 1930s. Tuneful music and
all. I suspect that if she keeps it up, she will move some young people
towards the music we all love and that's a good thing. I would love to have
her sing with my band.

Bennett? A+ all around for still swinging at an age when others are not
doing much of anything. Great voice, Great smile, Great guy.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone