[Dixielandjazz] OT: Anita O'Day

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Fri Nov 24 12:01:33 PST 2006

Anyone who wants to see Anita O'Day at her very best should find a copy
of the video "Jazz On A Summer Day". I think it was shot at the 1957
Newport Jazz Festival. Her appearance is one of several excellent
performances in the film. Mahalia Jackson has another.

In any event, I think the film shows why Anita O'Day, for all her
technical limitations, was one of the most creative vocalists in jazz.
If that doesn't persuade you, look up her interplay with Roy Eldridge in
the Gene Krupa orchestra. I particularly liked "Let Me Off Uptown".

Steve Holzer