[Dixielandjazz] Not Just Whisteling Dixie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 23 12:46:27 PST 2006

Dear Nancie,
They don't write reviews like that anymore!
8>)
So far as the misspelling of cornet as 'coronet' for is concerned, I am at a
loss for any explanation.
It is a world-wide phenomenon that has been happening with jazz writings and
discographies for as long as I can remember.
Too far back be blamed on new-fangled computer spell-check programs.
(Although I suspect that is part of the on-going problem.)
But way back in the good old days of proofreaders.
Remember them? A lost art, long gone.
One personal example. In 1990 I wrote the notes for an EMI Graeme Bell CD
and spoke of the "famous cornet player, Rex Stewart" working here in
Australia in 1949 with the Bell band.
The first typewritten proof of the notes had, predictably, '"famous coronet
player" which I corrected, along with a host of other mistakes.
When the CD notes were printed (with a few new typos) "cornet player" had
somehow become "concert player"!
What is it about the word 'cornet' that seems to trap the uninitiated?
Kind regards,
Bill.