[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll -- J. Lawrence Cook website update

Mike Meddings mike at doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 03:59:36 PST 2006

Hello all,

The website has been updated with 4 outstanding items of great historical
interest.

Again, following up leads from genealogist Peter Hanley, I have managed to
secure a significant number of WW1 draft registration cards (in glorious
Technicolor) of important ragtime and jazz personalities.

I have invited top-class researchers, who are authorities in their own field
of music, to write articles on the various musicians.

Canadian researcher, Ted Tjaden  sends a superb article on the noted ragtime
composer George Linus Cobb .   This accompanies Cobb's draft card.

Noted British researcher, Howard Rye sends a great article on the pianist
and bandleader Edward Kennedy Ellington.   This accompanies Ellington's
draft card.

The 3rd in a series of articles written by J. Lawrence Cook for the
International Musician magazine, dated May 1941.   This article includes
scans of hand-written music examples by Cook.   Courtesy of Prof. Brian
Dolan and Prof. Alan Wallace.

"Albert Nicholas Talks about Jelly : Part 2 of an interview" by Bill
Russell.   Courtesy of Don Marquis, Millie and Sonny McGown.

The above items can be accessed from the grey UPDATED BOX at:

http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends and readers.

Coming soon : feature articles on Rudi Blesh, King Oliver, Willie 'The Lion'
Smith, Joseph Lamb, Charley Straight and J. Lawrence Cook.

Musically yours

Mike.

www.doctorjazz.co.uk/