[Dixielandjazz] More On Essentially Ellington

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Nov 20 23:10:25 PST 2006

I sent the link that Gary Kiser provided for the high-school band
competetion at Lincoln Center, to one of the youth musicians who was there.
Below is his reply:

(snip)
Thanks for the link.  That's great!  My high school jazz band Rio Americano
went
to the Essentially Ellington Competiton last May.  We were one of the 15
finalists
selected out of the 97 bands that applied.  We had a great time.  It was an
wonderful
experience.  You can hear a recording of each band's performance (including
our's)
http://www.jalc.org/jazzED/ee/res_hearing.html
My favorite was a song called "Boy Meets Horn" written by Ellington and  Rex
Stewart.
The ellington charts are not arrangements, rather they are transcriptions
done by
the Lincoln Center's very own David Berger.  Although they do include the
original
solos played by ellington's band, they are there mainly for reference.  Most
of the
bands played their own solos.  Jon Faddis played with the top 3 placing
bands.  Wynton
was there, but he couldn't play because of a lip surgery.
   -Justin
(snip)

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball
 and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life
without even considering if there is a man on base."  --Dave Barry