[Dixielandjazz] Essentially Ellington

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Nov 20 10:29:30 PST 2006

Y'all,

I regularly listen (over the internet) to WUCF
<http://132.170.138.43:8080/ramgen/encoder/wucf.ra> out of Orlando.  On
Mondays at 7pm (Orlando time), they run Jazz at Lincoln Center.  I enjoy
this program beaucoup.

The announcements for tonights show claim they will be covering the
annual Essentially Ellington Competition.  Here, musicians from the
Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra write arrangements of Duke Ellington tunes
and distribute them to high school jazz bands.  Then, the bands 'Duke'
it out on stage.

If you want to here some good music played by high school students,
listen in tonight.  The competition was last May so you will still hear
Ed Bradley's voice.

Enjoy.

For a list of NPR stations that carry J at LC, see
http://jalc.org/jazzcast/j_stations.asp

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com