[Dixielandjazz] Archeophone King Oliver 1923 recordings

brian at radiojazz.co.uk brian at radiojazz.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 12:55:52 PST 2006

 I received my copy of the double CD complete King Oliver 1923 Jazz Band
recordings today from David Sager.
So far I have listened to ten tracks and made comparisons with the John R.T.
Davies restorations.
As far as my ears can tell, the Archeophones are clearer, much more crisp
and enable the listener to hear much more of what was going on within the
band. There is much more "presence" with this new restoration and for one of
the first times since about 1946 I found that playing these titles was very
exciting. You can indeed now get a much better idea of the excitement
created at the Lincoln Gardens and elsewhere.
I commend these recordings to all DJML members but will review them within
my web site (www.radiojazz.co.uk) in the New Year.
And - I raise a glass to David Sager and all of the team that made these
amazing tracks available.
Brian Harvey