[Dixielandjazz] Need help on one word in a the verse to "My Baby Knows How"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 14 10:06:40 PST 2006

Thanks to Bill Haesler and Bill Gunter, I now have 2 possibilities:

> "Now mister, ...  Can't you see, that there ain't no stuff on me."
-or-
> "Now mister, ...  Can't you see, that there ain't no stoppin' me."
   (which is what I HAD finally decided was it, but now am not sure.)
"no stuff on me" could work as in: "ain't no flies.... or "ain't no sh__
...".

Audrey van Dyke -- do you have a copy of the sheet music for this?

Either works for me, tho' am not sure which is the really correct one.

But I have now done a lead sheet for the song with the melody modified
slightly
from the instrumental verse, to match roughly what Annette Hanshaw does with
the words and will temporarily put in both alternatives. When it is cleaned
up
I'll send them a copy. It is a nice little tune either with  either the
vocal or
instrumental verse.

I haven't added it, but Annette Hanshaw also has a nice little 8-intro by
the piano
onto which she places 2 vocal breaks with the nonsense words "daddle daddle
dah"
into beats 2-4 of meas. 5 & 6.

Thanks, guys,
As to the recordings on redhotjazz.com -- I've picked the tempo at about
(h=100-110)
200 to 220 bpm for instrument and 184 (as does Hanshaw) for the vocal
version.
I find that many of the orchestras in the 20's took some of these tunes at
breakneck speed, which, for me at least, is less desirable for "ad libbing"
than a
slightly slower tempo. Bt that's just my taste. One of the bands actually
takes it
a 240. - ends up sounding way to ricky ticky. (again: to me..)

By the way, a number of the university libraries have the sheet music, but
have
gotten terribly legal and only list the info about them on the web if they
are
after 1922 - Sheet music for tunes prior to that can actually be downloaded
handily, but that kills this one as it was written in 1926.
Another thing I have noticed is that univ. libraries from which I had
previously
been able to download are now set up so that can only be done by students
and
employees of those facilities who have a legit. login" It ticks me off that
music
which no-one sees fit to publish anymore is still locked up by the copyright
laws.

The San Jose library has a lot of this stuff available if you go in to copy
it.
Is there anyone from there on this list who would collaborate --  from time
to time,
by gettings some of these copied and scanning them in, in return for my
sending them the finished lead sheets for
C, C-bass clef, & Bb plus the C with lyrics?
And/or alternatively someone with access to some of these university
libraries, either on-line or physically
 who could do similarly?
UCSB, Colorado, Indiana State, Duke, Brown, U of No. Tex. are some of the
ones that look fertile.
In turn, as well, I could send a list of the ones I already have downloaded
and are on my machine
in either pdf or other graphic formats.

Regards,
Craig Johnson