[Dixielandjazz] Need help on one word in a the verse to "MyBaby Knows How"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 14 00:55:59 PST 2006

>From "My Baby Knows How"
[Verse]
I've met 'em short, met em tall,
Never thought I'd ever fall.
But say,...  I fell today
And listen...  Am I glad, am I glad?
It's the first real thrill I've ever had,
Now mister, ...  Can't you see, that there ain't no stuff on me."

Dear Bill,
You said about the last line" >I thought that's what I heard but it doesn't
make much sense to me. What does it mean?<
It made some sense to me because we Ozstrylions have an old expression
"There are no flies on me", meaning I'm/she/he are smart, clever, quick on
the uptake, hard to fool.... and the like. Probably because flies do not
settle long on active people.
I assume that 'you-lot-over-there' have a similar saying and the word
"stuff" seems to fit the expression.
"My Baby Knows How" was a popular song in 1926. Perhaps our DJML Angel,
Audrey Van Dyke, has the sheet music, and can check the verse for us.
I have several other contemporary recordings of the song, but the Hanshaw is
the only one with a vocal verse. The others have instrumental verses only.
Bill, I have always liked the tune and would be very keen to hear your
version, via an mp3.
Kind regards,
Bill.
Stop Press: Notwithstanding any of the above, I have just listened to the
Hanshaw again, and again, and again, and......
I now firmly believe that the last line is:
"Now mister, ...  Can't you see, that there ain't no stoppin' me."
Bill.