[Dixielandjazz] The New Music Reproduction Technology

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Nov 13 08:30:44 PST 2006

I can still play disks that are more than 100 years old.  I've got one from
1899 and another from a year earlier.  They don't sound great, a combination
of the technology used and wear.  However, I also have disks that were
either very well cared for and/or not played a lot dating from around 1905
that sound wonderful.  The key is changing the needle after each disk is
played.  The needle wore so that the record would not.  I also have cylinder
records that are 100 years old, still quite playable and enjoyable.

Ron L