[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Fw: Are iPods just a passing fancy? (was mp3s and allthat stuff)

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 22:46:31 PST 2006

I've also had an iPod nano for a few months.  It makes music transportation so EASY. I've had iTunes on my laptop for sometime, but transfering files to the iPod now means I can listen whenever I want.  It is virtually idiot-proof.  I have podcast subscriptions (free) from iTunes that include jazz, brass band, classical, etc, etc, plus my own CD's, plus stuff transferred from vinyl to CD to computer. The updating is pretty much automatic and is effortless. I can use a FM transmitter and listen to the iPod on the car radio or use portable speakers (which sound better) or just use simple earphones (which sound better yet) when I'm at my desk at the office.

  Last August I went up to the Sacramento jazz camp at Sly Park for the weekend concert.  Jim O'B had gone up there for the camp and his group was going to play Emperor Norton's Hunch during the evening concert. Before the concert I plugged the iPod into to the speaker and could immediately play the 6 or 8 versions of Emperor (Turk etc.) that I had on the iPod. Even if I had been home with the CD collection, it would have been a major hassle to locate the various CD's and records that had been the source of the recordings.

  Will iPods be a passing fancy?  You bet.  Because something with more storage and more innovative features will come along.  Will the iPod "concept" disappear? Not likely.  An iPod (or lookalike) already costs less than a digital camera or a high end mobile phone.  Doesn't even come close to the cost of those big HDTV's that we're seeing in the electronics stores these days...

  Kay in Gilroy

Bob Romans <cellblk7 at comcast.net> wrote:
    Hi Listmates...I sent the discussion about iPods to a young kid...I think
he's about 35 or 36 years old...Marc Bolin...watch out for him...he's HOT
and a fantastic trombone player...who wasn't raised on OKOM but just
recently, because of Rev. Tom Wiggins taking him to the Red Sea Jazz
Festival with us, Marc learned about jazz from the '20's, and became
hooked!!

  ...clip....