[Dixielandjazz] Asylum Street Spankers

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 10 20:23:01 PST 2006

This is a funny group. Not sure what genre, by Everybody Loves My Baby is a
hoot. Kinda like a young band version of the Boondockers?

>From the Roanoke VA paper.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Washboards? Ukuleles? Musical saws? The inmates are running the Asylum
Street Spankers.

The crazy vagabonds return to Southwest Virginia from Austin, Texas, toting
a musical grab bag of hillbilly, Dixieland jazz and Delta blues. When these
multiple musicians rosin up the washboard and tune up the saw, they make
fantastic American music that bridges centuries and sounds more contemporary
and relevant than anything on the radio.

Bawdy, brash and more than a little risque, the Spankers are the kind of
band that would make a children's album and call it "Mommy Says No!" and
include such family-friendly hits as "You Only Love Me for My Lunchbox" and
"Boogers."

The band also has a new live DVD, "Re-Assembly," taped during the band's
10th anniversary "reunion" in 2004. But don't just watch the band on TV.
Experience the madness yourself.

Where: Sun Music Hall, downtown Floyd (inside the building that holds the
Winter Sun clothing store and Cafe del Sol coffee shop)

When: Tonight at 9

Tickets: $18

Info: (540) 745-7880, online at wintersuninc.net/thesun and
asylumstreetspankers.com