[Dixielandjazz] new technologies

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:13:30 PST 2006

Hi Cees and all,

You wrote (regarding iPods):

>So it's now time to put my old wire and wax roll recordings on my Ipod?

The short answer is "yes."

A longer reply would be "perhaps it has already been done. I mean this in
the sense that many of those old wire recordings and wax cylinders etc. may
have already been converted to digital data and made available as mp3 files
which may be stored in your iPod."

Another aspect of this is that converting them to digital files will help
preserve the wire recordings and especially the cylinders themselves which
deteriorate with age and usage. They still have historic value even though
the sounds they produce may be of inferior quality compared to today's music
players.

That brings up an interesting point. The wax rolls won't get better and
there is nothing you can do to them which will improve the sound quality.
However . . . when the information has been converted into digital form one
can use sound editors to enhance the tone quality considerably. For instance
when old 78's are digitized one can eliminate many of the scratches, clicks,
hissings etc. and other distractions you hear when playing the record. Some
amazing things can be done with this technology.

But, the answer to your question ("So it's now time to put my old wire and
wax roll recordings on my Ipod?") is simply "Yes."

By the way, the word is spelled "iPod" with the second letter being upper
case. I think it stands for something like "information pod." It's one of
those cutesy affectations you see a lot of these days.

Cheers,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com