[Dixielandjazz] Mp3 Jazz File

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 00:05:15 PST 2006

Bill,

  Thanks much for the cleaned up file. I have a way to go before I can do
  what you did to it. I can barely get my DAT recording on a CD-R, rip the CD-R
  to ITunes, convert the file to mp3, and then get the mp3 file onto an email. LOL.

  I sold my stereo digital mike a while ago after an auto accident where I temporarily
  lost the use of my right arm. I thought my trombone playing was possibly over for good.  So, I recorded that number with a mono mike.

  I don't know why but sometimes the mono plays back on both channels and sometimes not.  I also don't understand why I had all that extra time in the file???

  Again, Thanks. Got to listen to your handiwork now. I have been able to get two tunes from the session up on myspace for listening.

  Marty
  http://myspace.com/freemarty

ll Gunter <jazzboard at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Marty,

Thanks for sending the China Boy mp3.

I thought the band sounded really hot and I really enjoyed the trumpet!

There were some problems with the mp3 file you sent, however.

1. It was not in stereo and it was only on one channel (right). Listening on
stereo headphones with sound only in one ear is disconcerting.

2. It was over 15 minutes long although the tune itself only lasted for
about four and a half minutes.

In order to make it listenable and manageable I had to do a couple of
things. First I had to convert the mp3 file you sent to a wav file (which
tuned out to be 150 megabytes long!). Then, I had to put the wav file into a
sound editor and copy the right channel onto the empty left channel. This
gave me sound in both ears and although it wasn't stereo, it was mixed well
and all the instruments came over clean and they sounded good.

Then I had to chop off the empty ten minutes of nothing and shorten the wav
file to just the music - the four and a half minutes of sound.

Then I had to convert the new wave file back into an mp3 file which was only
a little over 4 MB long and which is entirely manageable on e-mail. If you
had similar files for the other tracks you could have attached several of
them to one e-mail.

Anyway, I have the doctored up mp3 file - monoral but for both ears on
headphone listening - and the only thing on it is the tune (China Boy).

I'll send it to you in a private posting. We shouldn't send messages with
attachments to the list . . . that's a no - no! Just ask list administrator
Bob Ringwald.

I'll also send you one of my mp3 files in return.

Thanks, Marty,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com