[Dixielandjazz] One for Brother Gunter

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:43:53 PST 2006

Hello Bill over there in Oz -

I recall playing your washboard there at the Fortunes of War Pub at the
Rocks in Sydney harbor a couple of years back.  Great fun! I enjoyed
watching you play and then when you let me have a sit-in my joy was
complete.

One thing I especially recall was that up until that point I wouldn't have
believed that a washboard so incredibly beat up and warped and ugly looking
would still be playable. But, master that you are, you made it sound lovely,
mate!

You said:

>If the washboard is to be played as it was originally meant to be -
>strictly
>as a rhythm instrument - then the horizontal position gives much better
>control, particularly on a regular job, or for recording.

I could probably give you a run for your money in a debate over this point
-- "Resolved: the correct method of playing a washboard is with the
instrument in a vertical position."

But it's really a matter of what you're used to. Piano keyboards are back
and forth, accordian keyboards are up and down . . . big deal!

Warmest regards,

Bill "If you see me old mate, Eric, give him a big hug for me" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com