[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of needles for 78s

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Mon Nov 6 10:06:52 PST 2006

Bill and all;

My old Victrola (circa 1916) uses bamboo needles which were cut into a
triangular shape. Since the bamboo wore out fairly quickly - about 3 plays -
there was a convenient guillotine which would slice the record end of the
used needle to create a new point. The drawback was that a shorter needle
couldn't play as loudly as the longer needle.

I still have a small stash of those bamboo needles which I use to play my
Anthony Braxton LPs.

Stan