[Dixielandjazz] Unions - Musicians - Cabaret Card

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Nov 6 08:40:47 PST 2006

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your excellent summary of this fiasco. "Gigs. Jazz and the
Cabaret Laws in New York City" by Paul Chevigny (Routledge, 1991) and "The
Police Card Discord" by Maxwell T. Cohen (Scarecrow Press and the Institute
of Jazz Studies, 1993) describe the case. Cohen was an attorney who
represented some of the musicians. Another lawyer in the settlement was
David Ostwald, the tuba and bass sax leader of the Gully Low Jazz Band. I
had a chat with him in 1987 when he played at Red Blazer Too in NYC. The
Casa Loma clarinetist Clarence Hutchenrider was in the band. In the
intermission I told my son to greet him and say only--"Smoke Rings"!
Clarence said" Where did you get that from? and sat down with us for a
drink. He said "I haven't played that for years but I'll ask the band if
they know it?" He did and they did, so his beautiful solo came out loud and
clear, perhaps for the last time-he died, aged 83, in 1991 .Cheers.
Fred