[Dixielandjazz] More about "Lily of the Valley" than you everwanted to read

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 20:43:49 PST 2006

Apologies if repeating something as I have not followed this exchange that
closely.  Here are the words to Everybody Ought To Know as learned in my
childhood--it is considered a Southern Baptist children's chorus among whatever
other attributes might belong with it.  Writing in the tune and chords, key  of F

F                           C7
Everybody ought to know
Everybody ought to know
                             C7
Everybody ought to know

Bb     C7     F
 who Jesus is.

He's the lily of the valley.
He's the  brighter morning star.
He's the fairest of ten thousand.
Everybody ought  to know.

The last four lines are to the tune of "What A Friend We Have In  Jesus".  In
some hymnals those words are printed printed as one  of the stanzas.

 The tune of 3 "verse" lines is: (In F)
 c-c, d-d, c- c, e  (3/4 time, 8th note first bar, dotted quarter  2nd bar);
Everybody ought to know
 c-c, d-d, c-c,  f  (same as above)
 c-c, d-d, c-c,  g
Bb, a, g, (quarter notes) F (dotted quarter)
Change the rhythm to jive it up and suit yourself, the notes, too.  :>)

The only published copy I can currently locate of hymn I knew since
childhood as (The) Lily of the Valley attributes no one for lyrics or music,  simply
says "English Melody".  I have hear DL groups do both these tunes to  the
melodies that I am talking about--I'm thinking of Jeanne Kittrell groups for
example.

Pass the plate, send the contributions to my agent, Larry, and in return I
will omit the sermon and the altar call.
Ginny