[Dixielandjazz] Another Musician's Union Horror Story

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Nov 5 12:01:34 PST 2006

That must have been when they went from the traveling musician tax of 10% to
the current work dues.   I think they called it a tax back then.   I was a
traveling musician in the late 50's early 60's and had to pay that ten
percent plus another ten to the agent.  That was to discourage musicians
from playing outside their jurisdiction.  For four years I hardly ever
played in my home local of Murfreesboro Illinois so I always got to pay the
tax.  Musicians didn't pay work dues then.  When they removed the traveling
fee they started the work dues.  I don't remember when that happened - I
think it was about 62 or 63.  Anyone know?
Larry
St. Louis