[Dixielandjazz] Unions - Musicians - Cabaret Card

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 11:48:30 PST 2006

And because most OKOM Players and Bands did not change with the times
and modernize their show and sound if indeed they ever had a show there
are fewer and fewer Watchers for OKOM  and getting fewer and fewer
every year folks:

Specifically why guys like Steve and I keep preaching to the choir
about getting out there anyway you can AFTER YOU GET YOUR ACTY TOGETHER
and being seen where there are mass audiences.   Better to go out and
PLAY for Free once a month at an event with 50,000 people attending
than playing for $25.00 to $40 to a die hard dying off group of hard
core fans in a Monthly meeting.

Now if you look at the calendar Guys and Gals there are usually four
other Weekends besides the one that hold the Traditional Jazz Society
Party /meeting of the faithful.    If all of you would take one Sat or
Sunday and go participate in one of those big old Street fairs or other
community project festivals once a month and bring your die hard fans
out as well to cheer you on.   Those folks who have no clue about OKOOM
and or your bands would get a chance to see it and hear it and also see
that you have some older folks coming to attend their event as well
HELLO   CAN YOU SPELL "NETWORK"  ADVERTISING, MARKETING, If you are any
good at all you will have folks coming up to ask for your card for
future gigs THAT PAY not just all the local BENEFITS  who try to get
bands for free at EVERY EVENT AND SAVE UP THEIR MONEY TO PAY A
HEADLINER FOR THEIR ANNUAL GALA FUNDRAISER with all the money they
saved by conning you and others to work for free all year long.   NOw
you bring out your local Jazz Society and set up a booth at these kind
of events and run a membership drive for your Jazz society, sell Cds,
cassettes or whatever and turn those 50,000 people that came to someone
else's event into a substantial number of converts for OKOm and your
organization.    Every FREE gig is not necessarily a Free Gig if you
know how to use it to Promote good gigs that come out of them, it is
called advertising marketing and deferred income, and if you sell a
pile of Cds and such it is a paid audition guys.     Do you think they
sell all those Fords just because they manufacture them :))  Build them
and they will come :))  nope it does not work that way in real life.
Ya gotta go out and work for it.

    The Musician's Union is not GOING TO CALL you and send the Big
Yellow Gig Bus stocked with Beer and free lunch to your house to take
you to the gig  and pay you.

Work with those folks, talk to them about getting your band's photo and
or a story about you and or the Jazz Society in the newspaper, send
press releases and Public Service announcements to all the radio
stations and Tv stations and newspapers all around you, that folks is
how you get recognized, appreciated and build a reputation for being a
great band rather than a bunch of old guys just getting together in the
garage to amuse each other and keep your chops up so you can maybe get
on the list to play that once a month Jazz Society party.

This is an everyday business, treat it like one and it will treat you
like one.

Cheers,  Tom Wiggins