[Dixielandjazz] Musician's Union

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Nov 5 11:40:01 PST 2006

Sorry Dave but I am still a member of Local 2-197  and have been on and off since 1958- I can get the phone number if you want to check.  My union membership is listed  prominently on my website on the bottom of the first page.

Some of the AF people might argue about that - I said they aren't getting rich, not that they weren't making a living.

Guilty - some of the stories are 30 years old but - things have only gone down hill since then.  Everything is smaller.   In all fairness I think the new guys that I helped vote in are doing as good a job as possible.  Actually I voted to keep them in about two weeks ago. The one bright light is that they have quit going after the individual musician for silly stuff and fining them huge amounts.

Read carefully - All my playing friends who happen to be some of the best musicians in town are no longer members but I still am even though I get almost NOTHING from them.  In the last union newsletter (that I get and read cover to cover) I saw that two more of my playing friends have been suspended.  I called one of them and asked him about it but it's unlikely that anyone from the local called them.

I am actually hanging in there, unlike musicians in droves that don't believe the musicians union is worth anything.  I've just been around long enough that I know what to expect from the local and what not to expect.  One of the things I don't expect from them is jobs.  That's up to me although I had hoped for more when they opened their booking agency.

What do the other things have to do with live performance?  Well not much but as you pointed out no matter how good you are - (if you are a non symphony musician anyway) - it's very difficult to make a good living playing.  In this town, only the symphony musicians count.  But then again, that's what I expect, not what is right or that anything can really be done about it.

By the way it's been about 5 years since I booked a union generated job through their booking agency.  Even though I have a publicity pack and tapes on file.

I think you missed the part where I said I think being in the union is the right thing to do without expecting anything in return.  They don't even have a union picnic anymore.

Larry