[Dixielandjazz] FW: MP3s or CDs or vinyl?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 5 04:10:50 PST 2006

MP3s are fine as samplers and for advertising but for jazz posterity they're
a big No - No.
Brian Harvey

........and, I've been wondering, as I read all these emails on MP3, has no
one thought about quality?  MP3 is "squashed" audio, not near CD quality,
and just at the time when the recording industry is working at more than
double the sample rate of CD's...and, some are even going above that.  CD =
44.1 Khz, but many are recording their music at 96 Khz, and some movies are
now being recorded at 192 Khz.

Why do they record at higher rates when the music must be "brought down" to
44.1 to go on the present CD?  Well, there are the DVD's which handle the
higher rates, and others are just doing it to have it done at the higher
rate (for posterity!).

Which brings us back to Brian's remark above.

Jim