[Dixielandjazz] Another Musician's Union Horror Story

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Nov 4 21:13:33 PST 2006

Dave asks, "Have you ever attended meetings, etc?"

When our local first began to charge a work dues (I called it a tax), I was
dead set against it.

I attended meetings and ran for the Board of directors.

When it came time to vote, I only voted for myself for the Board.

After they counted the votes, it was announced that 161 members had voted.
One of the guys already on the Board got all 161 votes.

I did not vote for him & I know for a fact that a friend of mine also did
not.  Gee, I wonder how that happened???

The president of our local had a complete strangle hold on the Union.

Out of all of the members who belonged, only 10% of us were making our
living at music.  Thus when a vote came up to benefit the working musician,
it got voted down because the other 90% would come out & vote against us.

The unions did it to themselves.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

>From "Hollywood Squares"
 Q. Do female frogs croak?
A. Paul Lynde: "If you hold their little heads under water long enough."