[Dixielandjazz] Solo Trumpet Duet

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 21:34:22 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Rebecca Thompson wrote (Regarding the funny trumpet bit):

>Reminds me of Bill Gunter playing the trumpet with the Boondockers!

I appreciate the observation. Yes - I too thought it was a very funny bit.

The original suggestion for the bit came to me from fellow boondocker, Gary
Church, who probably saw it or something quite similar someplace else.
Anyway, the concept of "lip syncing" a trumpet solo in a convincing way and
then having the horn continue to play after you've put it down can be really
funny providing you make the appropriate faces and gestures when the horn
refuses to shut up.

I especially liked the part where the comedian, after the first chorus,
switched the mouthpiece to his nostril and played the second chorus.  -- I
thought I'd wet my pants laughing!

Oh yes -- one other thing that has me in hysterics is the (current) intense
debate over the intellect of the Dixie Chicks.

Keep it up guys, debating a fake argument is as funny a playing a fake
trumpet.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Eat your heart out, Harry James" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com