[Dixielandjazz] Dixie Chicks (Sorry Mike Vax)

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 31 17:23:44 PDT 2006

Both John Farrell and Bob Ringwald completely misread or misunderstand what
I write and so since Bon asked me to explain myself on the List, I will.
Unfortunately I did not see Bob's post except just now on the archive and so
I refer here only to John's. ( I did not receive Bob's via the list...hmmmm)

"John Farrell" <stridepiano at tesco.net> wrote

> Steve,
>
> You didn't answer the question - how does the Dixie Chicks commercial
> success (if indeed that is true, I don't know) elevate them to the status of
> being "more intelligent than most people on the planet"?

Of course I haven't answered it YET John, because it was never asked before
by you or anyone else. If you meant to ask it, then why didn't you instead
of sending off your snide little comment (Just checked the archive and saw
that Bob asked such a question it and so I will answer it below)

> I fail to see how
> the acquisition of untold wealth is an indicator of worldwide intellectual
> superiority. All it means to me is that this group has employed people who
> are skilled at marketing the DC product, I doubt very much if these skills
> run to increasing the intelligence of the group members.

Who said that it was an indicator of anything? Certainly not me. I never
said any of the things you mention above had anything at all to do with
intelligence either. In fact I agree with you completely that they do not.

Back up to you the original premises.

I said: "They are more intelligent than most people on the planet"

You said: "How does he arrive at such an absurd conclusion.

Simple, most people on the planet are folks who live in countries that are
charitably described as "undeveloped" in Africa and Asia. Most of those
folks, IMO, are not, through any fault of their own, intelligent.

Therefore like the Dixie Chicks, Bob Ringwald and John Farrell and even
Steve Barbone are more intelligent than most of the people on the planet.

Where, pray tell do you. John, or Bob, see anything in my posts now or ever
that commercial success, or acquisition of wealth, has anything to do with
intelligence? Why do you continue to read something into my writing that is
not there? And what you think I said in past is not an accurate description
of what I actually said then either. And, contrary to what your egos may
tell you, when I refer to most people on the planet, that is not a specific
reference to either of you, and/or musicians, and/or folks on the DJML. I am
referring to more than 6 Billion people, most of whom haven't the foggiest
idea of what trad jazz is.

Like you say Bob, we are adults and there is no flaming. But I fail to see
why I should be asked to explain the meaning of a simple sentence and an
obvious conclusion. Especially such an innocuous one that has nothing
whatsoever to do with the premises you and John raise. It speaks for itself.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone